"The slugs alone could not provide enough ADAM for serious work. But combined with the host...
now we have something." - Brigid Tenenbaum
- For the kinetoscope with the same name, see Battleship Bay (Kinetoscope).
- “Strength through leisure!”
- ― Billboard overlooking Battleship Bay[src]
Battleship Bay is a popular beach area of the Soldier's Field district of Columbia, seen in BioShock Infinite. The Bay is home to shops, an arcade, live music, and an expansive beach. It features real sand as well as what appears to be a simulated ocean. Seagulls are seen hanging around the beach. Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth fall into the bay after escaping Monument Island, and get their first glimpse of the First Lady's Aerodrome in an advertisement on the beach. The mechanisms which maintain the ocean can be found inside two different maintenance rooms in the area.
- Main article: BioShock Infinite
As Booker and Elizabeth escape from Monument Island, they fall from a collapsing Sky-Line into Battleship Bay. After being pulled from the water by Elizabeth and recovering his strength, Booker sees an advertisement for The First Lady airship, and decides to hijack it to leave Columbia. While tickets are requested for the First Lady Aerodrome, they are attacked by Founders attempting to detain Elizabeth. Booker eliminates the group and makes his way to Soldier's Field with Elizabeth.
Battleship Bay is a man-made beach located near the base of Monument Island. It is comprised of a small, artificial bay supplied by pumps and rain-catchers and a sandy shore. The beach features simple attractions, such as "Dancing at Dusk" on a small pier, boating, surfing, various food stalls and a gift shop. The Upper Boardwalk features curio shops, food carts, and a view of the beach.
The arcade is a colorful area filled with theater machines, featuring various installments of the Dimwit & Duke series. It also features the game's first Motorized Patriot, on display in a glass case.
- China Broom Shotgun
- Ed Gaines - Born in the River - Battleship Bay, under a cart.
- Daisy Fitzroy - Heaven - Arcade, in a washroom before the Colored and Irish Bathrooms.
- Zachary Hale Comstock - A Dog's Loyalty - Arcade, in the Whites-Only Bathroom.
- Esther Mailer - Take Her Alive - Park Ticketing.
- Zachary Hale Comstock - The Golden Path to Heaven - Park Ticketing.
- Battleship Bay
- Solving the Irish Problem
- A Look Back at Opening Day
- The Prophet Stands Up to Foes: Within and Without
- We Secede from the So-Called "Union"
Promotional and Concept ImagesEdit
- After Booker meets Elizabeth and convinces her to follow him, if the player directs Booker to stand in the water next to the waterfall, Elizabeth will follow and her legs will become disconnected from the rest of her body.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The song Elizabeth dances to is "Rory O'Moore (Saddle the Pony)" composed by Samuel Lover in 1837.
- When Booker convinces Elizabeth to stop dancing, a cover version of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" can be heard playing on a calliope throughout the area. The song was not composed until 1979.
- During development, Battleship Bay was where animations were created and tested. This is the reason that, during a playthrough, so many different animations can be performed by Elizabeth in this single area. Around 200 animations can occur in Battleship Bay, from Elizabeth's dancing to her skipping stones. This can make every playthrough here a different experience from the previous one.
- During play-testing, Booker initially woke up alone on the beach. Players got upset that Elizabeth had apparently abandoned them. The scene where Elizabeth shows concern for Booker and he gives her permission to go was added.
- Elizabeth makes several comments about the history of the area when interacting with objects on the beach:
- When Booker walks close to the men lifting medicine balls after finding Elizabeth, she will try to pick one up. After failing to lift it, she says, "Don't laugh."
- In the hallway where Booker first notices the First Lady's Aerodrome advertisements, there is a baby carriage with a box of pistol ammunition sitting in it. This instance is a nod to Jack finding his first pistol in the original BioShock outside the Kashmir Restaurant.
- A newspaper (with the headline "Anarchists in Our Fair City") in Battleship Bay also features a headline about the RMS Carpathia and mentions a list of rescued people. This is a reference to the role the ship played in rescuing survivors of the RMS Titanic sinking.
- A film of the waterfalls at Battleship Bay can be viewed through a Kinetoscope in Comstock House. This is William R. Foreman's 99th — and final — film.
- Music playing in the White-only bathrooms in the Arcade is Chopin's "Nocturne N°2".
- Whilst searching for Elizabeth in the earlier portion of Battleship Bay, Booker will refuse to fire his weapon, often giving quotes pertaining to "Don't shoot until they [the enemy] do".
- Battleship Bay was originally called "Battleship Cove" in early concept art and within the game files.
- If the player reloads the checkpoint to start at the beginning of the level, the seagulls that fly off when Booker wakes up will be frozen in place.
- Despite a large amount of debris from Monument Tower falling into the waters of Battleship Bay, no one in the beach reacts to it.
- Once the state of Monument Tower is reviled on the Upper Boardwalk, the citizens on the beach will gather at the dancing pier to look at the statue in ruins. Everyone else is gone from the beach, except for two pairs. However, if the player returns to the gift shop and looks through the turnstile, one will see that every citizen that was previously on the beach is back and continuing as normal (the citizens seen from the Upper Boardwalk are also present).
- If the player would activate the noclip mode using Console Commands and enter the two wagons on the west beach, one would see that they contain items. The first one contains a lootable bag and a Soda bottle and the other contains two bags, one of which is lootable, and a purse placed halfway into the side of one of the bags, which is worth one Silver Eagle when picked up.
- ↑ As per Elizabeth's commentary
- ↑ The Fiddler’s Companion ROD-ROR
- ↑ BioShock Infinite - The Revolutionary AI Behind Elizabeth at IGN
- ↑ Mentioned by Elizabeth.
- ↑ As per Elizabeth's commentary
|Battleship Bay||Columbia Boards · Gift Shop · Upper Boardwalk · Arcade · Flawless Flintlock · Skulking Stranger · Patriot's Proud Pose|
|Main Street||Soldier's Field Welcome Center · First Lady's Aerodrome · Dimwit & Duke Ice Cream Shoppe · Duke's Choice Concessions · Founders Books · Hotel Soldiers Field · Toy Soldiers|
|Patriot's Pavilion||Patriot's Pride · Cigar Shop · The Fellow Traveller|
|Hall of Heroes||Boxer Rebellion Exhibit · Wounded Knee Exhibit · Hall of Heroes Gift Shop · First Lady's Memorial|
|Clash in the Clouds||Duke and Dimwit Theatre|