"The slugs alone could not provide enough ADAM for serious work. But combined with the host...
now we have something." - Brigid Tenenbaum
"Come on in and show us those snappy snappies." - Peach Wilkins
"There is something more powerful than each of us, a combination of our efforts, a Great Chain of industry that unites us. But it is only when we struggle in our own interest that the chain pulls society in the right direction..." - Andrew Ryan
- For the Multiplayer Level of Fontaine Fisheries, see Fontaine Fisheries (BioShock 2 Multiplayer).
- “Fontaine's promising something better. He's like one-a us, you know, like he's worked a day in his life. He says meet him at his fish-packing joint at 11.”
- ― Peach Wilkins[src]
Fontaine Fisheries, located in Neptune's Bounty of Rapture, was one of Frank Fontaine's earliest businesses. It was used primarily as a front for his smuggling operation, with an entrance to the Smuggler's Hideout hidden behind one of the freezers in the basement.
Established in 1949,? Fontaine Fisheries started out as a legal business, fishing for seafood and selling it to the citizens of Rapture. Later, Frank Fontaine organized several workers at Neptune's Bounty to form a lucrative but illegal smuggling operation. The Fisheries hid the access to a network of caves and tunnels housing the contraband and smuggling submarines. The employees were kept in order with an iron fist by their boss and the men loyal to him, with some of them even threatened with their lives to keep them silent. With this illegal source of profits, Fontaine was able to finance Brigid Tenenbaum's early researches on Sea Slugs and ADAM which eventually led to the creation of Fontaine Futuristics, the next step of evolution in his empire.
When the smuggled contraband came to the attention of Andrew Ryan, he tasked his Head of Security Sullivan and his men in dismantling the smuggling ring, and forcing them to give up Fontaine. This led to a series of violent confrontations between the smugglers and the security forces, which concluded with Fontaine's apparent death in a shoot-out at Fontaine Fisheries on September 12th, 1958. The remaining smugglers, who were convinced that Fontaine was still alive and feared for their lives, were led by Peach Wilkins and eventually barricaded themselves inside the disused Fisheries, and remained there during the Rapture Civil War.
Various brands of seafood caught and packaged by Fontaine Fisheries are mentioned on posters or found in-game.
- Fontaine Atlantic Sardines/Fontaine's Finest Sardines (on Frag Grenade canisters)
- Plump Mussels - "Delicious, Deep Diving Dinner"
- Sterner Brand Sea Meats
- Main article: BioShock
Fontaine Fisheries is visited in BioShock. Located in Neptune's Bounty, it is here that Jack has a confrontation with Peach Wilkins when he needs to pass through the fisheries to reach the sub-bay of the Smuggler's Hideout hidden underneath. Wilkins was a former smuggler who had taken de facto control of the fisheries after Fontaine's supposed death.
- On a shelf across from the hole in the wall used to exit the level. It is under an ice pile that can be melted with Incinerate.
- Peach Wilkins - Putting the Screws On - In the freezer to the left on the bottom floor (Incinerate! required).
Burial at Sea - Episode 2Edit
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 2
The events of Burial at Sea takes place just a few months after the shooting on September 12th and thus is still clear in the minds of some of the Ryan Security agents. Several men working for Ryan Security were sent on December 31th to Fontaine's - Frank Fontaine's former department store, now a prison - to eliminate the remaining conspiring prisoners. One of the agents, who seemingly fought at Fontaine Fisheries, can be heard noting that the men fighting for Fontaine at the fisheries put up a better fight compared to the prisoners at Fontaine's.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- ↑ BioShock: Rapture, Chapter 7
- ↑ Advertisements can be found during BioShock 2. Example location: Pauper's Drop, Skid Row, in the upper walkway going to the Tenement Apartments.
Vo_RyanSec_Male_04_IdleSoldier: "Fontaine's followers put up a good fight at the fisheries. I'd expected more from this lot."
- ↑ Laura Zimmermann's Portfolio (Archived)