"There is something more powerful than each of us, a combination of our efforts, a Great Chain of industry that unites us. But it is only when we struggle in our own interest that the chain pulls society in the right direction..." - Andrew Ryan
- “When you're down in the mouth, and life's a pain/weatherman says 'heavy rain'/A little boost is all you need/Average Joe to Hercules/A Stronger Arm, A Sharper Brain, That's Why the Future is Fontaine!”
- ― Fontaine Futuristics advertising jingle[src]
Fontaine Futuristics was a business conglomerate run and owned by Frank Fontaine, and one of the largest companies dealing with genetic enhancements and electronic systems in Rapture. It was the heart of biotechnology in the city, but also oversaw various other business endeavors owned by Fontaine. It was nationalized by Andrew Ryan after Fontaine's "death", much to the chagrin of council member Bill McDonagh, and inciting civil unrest. It was also one of the factors leading to the Rapture Civil War.
Under Frank FontaineEdit
Fontaine funded Brigid Tenenbaum's research of ADAM after her discovery of the substance being produced by a Sea Slug. With the profit generated by his illegal smuggling operation using Fontaine Fisheries as a front, he created Fontaine Futuristics to carry on her work, with the addition of the genius biologist Yi Suchong. To this was added several other operations such as the Little Sister's Orphanages, used to acquire girls to produce more ADAM, but also the facilities to make them Little Sisters.
The genetic research department of the company was once based in Point Prometheus which encompassed other laboratories working similar fields of research, and this allowed the creation of the first Plasmids and Gene Tonics for consumer use. The company's headquarters were built on the edge of the ocean trench from which the slugs came, enabling an early monopoly on the supply of ADAM. Eventually, Fontaine Futuristics contracted Sinclair Solutions to rent out test subjects from Persephone, which was located in the trench near the headquarters.
Work continued under Fontaine until his death during the shootout between Ryan Security and the smugglers in Neptune's Bounty. The Rapture Central Council voted on giving stewardship of Fontaine's assets to Ryan Industries, much to the outcry of a large part of the population.
The Plasmid BusinessEdit
Fontaine achieved vertical integration in the Plasmid business, by owning every step of the process:
- Fontaine Fisheries - Where the slugs were found, but also a front for the smuggling operation financing the research.
- Little Sister's Orphanages - Facilities made to acquire girls and generate more ADAM by converting them into Little Sisters.
- Little Wonders Educational Facility - Education centers to physically and mentally convert the girls into Little Sisters capable of generating ADAM.
- Fontaine Futuristics Genetic Research Dept. - ADAM research, and the creation of Plasmids and Gene Tonics, which Fontaine profited from.
- Fontaine Futuristics - For public demonstration, marketing studies and advanced ADAM research. The headquarters was also built close to the source of the Sea Slugs.
- Fontaine's Department Store - A large department store, directly selling products from Fontaine's businesses such as Plasmids, housewares, clothes, books, and personal Bathyspheres. Also included were several recreational businesses and others not connected to Fontaine Futuristics.
However, Fontaine was not able to achieve a horizontal ADAM monopoly due to competition in Plasmid and Gene Tonic production from Ryan Industries and Sinclair Solutions.
Products and ServicesEdit
- Accu-Vox Audio Diaries
- Various kitchen and cleaning appliances
- Fontaine's Machinery Co.
- Private Bathyspheres, and the speed control systems for the public bathyspheres.
- Various creams, pills, injections, and cosmetics, as seen on a billboard.
- Fontaine Press was a publishing house owned and operated by Frank Fontaine.
- Gene Tonics
- Little Sisters
- Medical care and blood drives (in exchange for money) at Fontaine Clinics.
- Oxygen services
- Power to the People vending machines
- Smuggled goods and contraband
- Brigid Tenenbaum (formerly)
- Garris Fisher?
- Gilbert Alexander (formerly)
- J. Yang
- Louie McGraff
- Peach Wilkins (formerly)
- Sammy G.
- Yi Suchong (formerly)
Employees at Fontaine's Department StoreEdit
- Bert Unger
- Edith Crenshaw
- Florence Baxter
- Kay Flannigan
- Ray Lardner
- Sal Cantone
- Samantha Kemp
- Shirley Womack
Under Ryan IndustriesEdit
"I test you... but for a reason. I test all my disciples. Some shine like galaxies, and some... some burn like a moth at the flame!" - Sander Cohen
This article, Fontaine Futuristics (Business), contains disputed content or may not have any sources and may be fan fiction or a hoax. Please add where this subject is mentioned in the BioShock series and add references using the format detailed at Help:Cite. Check the talk page for more information about what might need references in this article.
Unlike Fontaine, Ryan saw no need to hide from the citizens of Rapture the Little Sisters he had inherited. He brought them into the public eye by creating the Gatherer's Garden vending machines to replace the Gene Bank in selling Plasmids and Gene Tonics. These vending machines featured large figurines of smiling Little Sisters on either side. He also presented the Little Wonders Educational Facilities as educational schools for young girls, in reality being processing centers for Little Sisters. Later, Ryan changed their role in Rapture's society, sending them out into the streets to gather additional ADAM from corpses as the growing tension began to cause an increase in violence and death in the city. The number of people dying on the streets greatly increased when the Rapture Civil War began. In response to the disquiet the Little Sisters caused among the citizens, Ryan created several public address announcements suggesting that the Little Sisters were performing a noble service and helping in re-establishing Rapture back to a stable state.
Before their introduction to the streets, Ryan had commissioned in advance both Dr. Suchong and electronics expert Dr. Alexander to create protectors for the little girls, since they were vulnerable to attacks by Splicers when searching the city for ADAM. This resulted in the creation of the Alpha Series, protectors tasked to guard a single Little Sister with their lives. These protectors ultimately proved a failure by the start of 1959 due to a number of issues. With no other option, the conversion of Big Daddies, genetically enhanced workers in diving suits originally created by Suchong for Rapture's underwater work and maintenance, into Protectors bonded to Little Sisters was decided as the solution. This was mainly due to the fact that a large population of Rosie and Bouncer Big Daddies already existed, the only thing left was to find a way to bond them to the girls. An answer through the Daddies' need of ADAM to survive was found by Suchong in an accident that cost him his life, and thus the new Protectors were introduced to the raging streets of Rapture in the early stages of its civil war, completing a cycle vital for both sides of the conflict.
The headquarters of the company were eventually condemned sometime after the end of the Protector program, with most of its genetic research laboratories and facilities operated from Point Prometheus. Fontaine Futuristics definitely ceased activity after the death of Andrew Ryan, only to be reopened by Alexander when ADAM production became too low for the needs of its surviving inhabitants and to fuel the city's new leader's utopian plans, psychiatrist Dr. Sofia Lamb.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- As seen in the image above, the company is also called Fontaine Corporation on bathyspheres' speed levers.
- ↑ Bill McDonagh's Audio Diary: Ryan Takes F Futuristics
- ↑ Frank Fontaine's Audio Dairy: Kraut Scientist
- ↑ Unused radio message from the BioShock 2 audio files, by Augustus Sinclair: "Fontaine was one savvy old crook. He built this HQ on the edge of an ocean trench so deep it might as well be bottomless, and why? Because the slugs that carry ADAM crawl right up out of it. Heaven knows what lies below, but the proximity surely helped him corner the supply." —
- ↑ File:Fontaine Creams Pills Injections.png
- ↑ Julie Langford's Arcadia and Oxygen
- ↑ A Fontaine Futuristics employee who performed an inspection on a circuitry board in Andrew Ryan's office in Rapture Central Control.
- ↑ Sander Cohen's Audio Diary: Doing Well by Doing Good
- ↑ Yi Suchong's Audio Diary: Cheap Son of a Bitch
- ↑ Andrew Ryan's Audio Diary: Alone at Last