- “Cry out for Big Daddy's help, make him think you're a Little Sister. Watch as he fights to protect you.”
- ― Advertisement[src]
Hypnotize Big Daddy is a Plasmid available in BioShock. When selected, it manifests itself as a pale green globule formed from Jack's palm, with visible deformities on his wrists and hands. Hypnotize Big Daddy is an active Plasmid that instantly releases a globule that homes in and bursts on the nearest Big Daddy within the player's central field of view at the cost of EVE. If this Plasmid is used on a Big Daddy that is guarding a Little Sister, the Little Sister will either retreat to a wall vent or will find a new Big Daddy.
Upon bursting, the target Big Daddy is splashed with a green liquid substance, immediately causing him to temporarily protect the player as he would a Little Sister. They will attack any enemies in the area that are hostile to the player. The light glowing from the face of the affected Big Daddy will turn green to indicate that he is friendly, and will flash when the Plasmid reaches the end of its effects. Directly or indirectly attacking a hypnotized Big Daddy will cause him to become hostile. A Big Daddy that is hostile to the player cannot be hypnotized.
- Since one use of this Plasmid costs a considerable amount of EVE, a significant amount can be saved by casting other desired Plasmids first, and then casting Hypnotize Big Daddy to use the remaining EVE.
- Big Daddies will get a new Little Sister after every time they are hypnotized. Use these opportunities to take multiple pictures using the Research Camera.
- Plasmids and Tonics like Insect Swarm and Static Discharge should not be used in conjunction with Hypnotize Big Daddy, as the area of effect damage will cause a befriended Big Daddy to become hostile.
- The Enrage Plasmid is a useful counterpart to Hypnotize Big Daddy, as it will allow for friendly and hostile Big Daddies to fight each other. The player can then dispatch the remaining one with less difficulty. One can also attack the required Big Daddy and back away, while the friendly one fights for the player.
- It is possible to use this Plasmid to lure a Big Daddy into a Security Camera's field of view, and then cast Security Bullseye on them. Since the latter deals no damage, the Big Daddy will remain friendly, and will end up severely weakened or even dead after the alarm.
- EVE Saver will decrease the enormous cost in EVE when casting this Plasmid. However, unless Jack's EVE bar is significantly upgraded, even with the tonic equipped the entire bar will be invariably depleted.
In BioShock 2, this plasmid was adapted into the plasmid Hypnotize. This allowed players to "befriend" enemies temporarily, making them fight on one's side for the duration of the effect or until death. It would only "befriend" the enemy if charged - an uncharged Hypnotize had the same effect as Enrage.
Burial at Sea - Episode 2
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 2
A poster advertising the Hypnotize Big Daddy Plasmid can be seen in the Bathyspheres DeLuxe Information kiosk. When approached, Elizabeth will curiously read the title out loud, while Booker comments on the inconvenient release date, considering the Bouncer roaming freely on their floor. However, the drinkable Possession Plasmid has a similar effect on it, albeit not as long lasting.
Behind the Scenes
- An early name for the Plasmid was "Befriend Big Daddy". The BinkMovie file for Hypnotize Big Daddy is labeled
PlasmidBefriendBigDaddyTraining.bik. An alternate version also exists in the files as
BefriendBigDaddyTrainingClean.bik. "Befriend Big Daddy" appears on the title screen over a drawing of a Plasmid bottle and the narrator's voice does not have the distorted, muffled audio effect. The background music uses the same music from Andrew Ryan's opening speech during the Bathysphere descent into Rapture.
- A May 2006 IGN interview with Ken Levine published just prior to E3 indicates the Plasmid was still referred to as "Gatherer Cry".
- Or you can use a plasmid, which is our genetic power-up to make these Protectors think that you're one of the Gatherers, and they'll follow you and protect you for a period of time. So you can turn the security system against the Protectors, we call this tool the "Gatherer Cry," and they imprint upon you. So, the first thing you have to do is that you have to observe the relationships in the world, and then you can engage and take advantage of those relationships.
|Plasmids/Vigors in the BioShock series|
|Plasmids in BioShock||Cyclone Trap · Electro Bolt · Enrage · Hypnotize Big Daddy · Incinerate! · Insect Swarm · Security Bullseye · Sonic Boom · Target Dummy · Telekinesis · Winter Blast|
|Plasmids in BioShock 2||Cyclone Trap · Decoy · Electro Bolt · Hypnotize · Incinerate! · Insect Swarm · Scout · Security Command · Telekinesis · Winter Blast · Summon Eleanor|
|Gravity Well (Minerva's Den)|
|Plasmids in BioShock 2 Multiplayer||Aero Dash · Electro Bolt · Geyser Trap · Houdini · Incinerate! · Insect Swarm · Telekinesis · Winter Blast|
|Vigors in BioShock Infinite||Bucking Bronco · Charge · Devil's Kiss · Murder of Crows · Possession · Return to Sender · Shock Jockey · Undertow|
|Plasmids and Vigors in Burial at Sea - Episode 1 and Burial at Sea - Episode 2||Bucking Bronco · Devil's Kiss · Ironsides · Old Man Winter · Peeping Tom · Possession · Shock Jockey|
|Removed Plasmids from BioShock||Aggressor Irritant · Parasitic Healing · Sanctuary · Speed Booster · Teleportation|