- For the Multiplayer Level of Point Prometheus, see Point Prometheus (BioShock 2 Multiplayer).
- “The only way to get through that door Fontaine went through is to have a little one open it for you. Und they'll only trust you if you look like, sound like, und even smell like one of those big, stinking brutes.”
- ― Brigid Tenenbaum[src]
- 1 History
- 2 BioShock
- 3 Map
- 4 New Discoveries
- 5 Walkthrough
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Behind the Scenes
- 8 References
History[edit | edit source]
- “The Great Will Not Be Constrained By The Small”
- ― Banner[src]
Located at the edge of the city, Point Prometheus was Rapture's genetic research center, mainly focused on the development of Plasmids and genetic modifications at Optimized Eugenics (previously the Fontaine Futuristics Genetic Research Department), and the creation and bonding of Big Daddies and Little Sisters respectively at Failsafe Armored Escorts and the Little Wonders Educational Facility. The Mendel Memorial Research Library which holds a collection of science books on genetics was also located there. Finally, Point Prometheus featured its own Memorial Museum dedicated to biology and notably Rapture's sea-life, and was later closed down and re-purposed into the Proving Grounds, an obstacle course to test Protectors and Gatherers.
The facilities were run by Dr. Yi Suchong under the management of Frank Fontaine and later Andrew Ryan after the nationalization of Fontaine Futuristics. During the first two weeks of the civil war, Point Prometheus was overrun by rebels. and Suchong relocated all his studies on his Protection Bond to his own secret laboratory in Apollo Square, eventually leading to his accidental death by a successfully-bonded Big Daddy. After the rebels had been forced out of Point Prometheus, and Ryan condemned Fontaine Futuristics' headquarters, the facility became one of the few remaining establishments to engineer ADAM products in the city.
By the end of the civil war and Jack's arrival in Rapture, the labs are in bad shape but still contain plenty of components scattered around for the creation of at least one more Big Daddy.
BioShock[edit | edit source]
- Main article: BioShock
Main Hall[edit | edit source]
The main hall of Point Prometheus is segmented into two sections and connects to all locations in the complex: the Rapture Metro station, the library, and the Memorial Museum turned Proving Grounds in the first area, and the science facilities in the second. Both halls have sea life displays, and the first at the entrance also houses the Genetic Modification Library.
Failsafe Armored Escorts is the Big Daddy manufacturing facility. One enters this facility through two adjacent Decontamination Chambers. Inside are many areas vital in the Big Daddy creation process, including Candidate Induction, Suit Assembly, and Candidate Conversion.
This is the Little Sister training and production facility. The bottom floor houses several small cells for Little Sisters. There are numerous crayon drawings on the pink walls of the rooms, frequently depicting Big Daddies. The top of the cells are open to the level above, allowing observation by scientists on the top floor. There is also a room labeled "Autopsy," used for the actual surgery where girls are implanted with the slugs and physically transformed into Little Sisters.
Presumably, this Library was used by the scientists who needed information on genetics during their research and development of Plasmids. Books found in this library include "Dawkins Law," "Evolutionary Biology," "Applied Genetics," and "Mendelian Practice." A shipment of Big Daddy boots was accidentally directed here, and can be found near the librarian's table.
This area contains several laboratories. Sub-areas like Plasmid Prototyping, Eugenic Analysis, Live Subject Testing, etc. suggest that this was an important laboratory where many Plasmids and other genetic modifications were developed and tested. One enters this facility through Decontamination Chambers.
Map[edit | edit source]
New Discoveries[edit | edit source]
Single Use Events[edit | edit source]
- There are 2 Power to the People stations.
New Plasmids and Gene Tonics (Found)[edit | edit source]
- Safecracker 2 - Autopsy Room, Little Wonders Educational Facility.
- Alarm Expert 2 - Live Subject Testing area, Optimized Eugenics.
- Damage Research 2 - On a desk in the Mendel Memorial Research Library.
- Hacker's Delight 3 - Failsafe Armored Escorts.
New Plasmids and Tonics (Available at a Gatherer's Garden)[edit | edit source]
New Enemies[edit | edit source]
- Frank Fontaine (seen only)
Coded Doors[edit | edit source]
- For Radio Messages in Point Prometheus, see Radio Messages: Point Prometheus.
- Brigid Tenenbaum - Why Just Girls? - Little Wonders Educational Facility, Atrium Balcony, on a desk on the second floor.
- Andrew Ryan - Marketing Gold - Optimized Eugenics, Test Subject Storage, on a machine against the wall.
- Andrew Ryan - Mistakes - Failsafe Armored Escorts, Suit Assembly Upper Floor, next to the Gene Bank.
- Dr. Suchong - Extra Munitions - Optimized Eugenics, Plasmid Prototyping, on the ground near RPG Turret.
- Dr. Suchong - Protecting Little Ones - Failsafe Armored Escorts, in a desk on the Suit Assembly Upper Floor.
- Dr. Suchong - Protector Smell - Failsafe Armored Escorts, on a monitor on the Suit Assembly Upper Floor.
- Dr. Suchong - Missing Boots - Failsafe Armored Escorts, in the back of the Candidate Conversion room.
- Dr. Suchong - Changing Employers - Main Hall 2nd Floor, across from Circus of Values: melt the ice, enter the closet and search the trash can.
- Dr. Suchong - Cheap Son of a Bitch - Failsafe Armored Escorts, in the southern-most room on the map, next to Circus of Values machine.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Conserve Electric Gel and look for components to make more. The player will not need it at this stop because the Big Daddies are easy enough to kill with other weapons/ammo, but they will need it badly at the Proving Grounds and in the battle with Fontaine. Try to be maxed out by the time one leaves, and have enough components to make another 100 units (on Hard—a little less on Medium skill). With Clever Inventor equipped, the components are 1 of each of the following:
Unless the player have a surplus of these components, be careful of making other items, such as Heat-Seeking RPGs, which use the same components.
Atrium / Main Hall
Little Wonders Educational Facility
Mendel Memorial Research Library
Failsafe Armored Escorts
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
- The name "Point Prometheus" was inspired by the Greek god, Prometheus, who gave fire to mortals and was punished eternally for it. Prometheus also created people from clay and was therefore a mythological "Frankenstein" figure (indeed, Frankenstein is subtitled "The Modern Prometheus"); it is therefore fitting that the Frankenstein-like experiments to create Big Daddies should take place here. He was also a Titan, as the tower at Point Prometheus is the highest building in Rapture. Prometheus is also the name taken by the protagonist of Ayn Rand's Anthem.
- The "Mendel Memorial Research Library" is a reference to Gregor Mendel, the father of modern genetics. An Austrian monk and scientist, his pioneering research on genetic inheritance and its laws was critical to the foundation of modern genetics.
References[edit | edit source]
- The network map of the Rapture Metro
- As per timing specified in Burial at Sea, witnessed by Elizabeth
- Rapture Radio, Civil War Announcement: "After the bombing of the Kashmir, we were all plenty scared of Atlas and his thugs. But only a fool counts out the right-thinking folks of Andrew Ryan's Rapture. Atlas' thugs have been pushed out of Point Prometheus, they're on the run in Port Neptune. It's one thing starting a war, Atlas, but finishing one's an altogether different matter. Folks say it's only a matter of time before Atlas' entire mob comes out waving the white flag…"
- Yi Suchong's Audio Diary: Protection Bond
- Andrew Ryan's Audio Diary: Alone at Last
- Prometheus, Greek god, on Wikipedia
- Anthem on Wikipedia
- Gregor Mendel on Wikipedia
|Locations and Businesses in Point Prometheus|
|Main Hall||Rapture Metro · Failsafe Armored Escorts · Little Wonders Educational Facility · Mendel Memorial Research Library · Optimized Eugenics|
|Memorial Museum||Proving Grounds · The 13th Muse Pub|
|Special Exhibit Entry||Fontaine's Lair|
|BioShock 2 Multiplayer||Point Prometheus (BioShock 2 Multiplayer)|