The Vox Cipher is a secret code created by the Vox Populi. These messages appear as red graffiti scrawled across walls. Only by finding the Code Books can these symbols be decoded. Once these codes have been translated, they provide hints which can lead Booker DeWitt to finding secret areas where the Vox stored resources in their efforts to combat the Founders.
- Main article: BioShock Infinite
In her isolation, Elizabeth has studied codes and cryptography. With the specialized Code Book, she can translate the Ciphers left by the Vox Populi. Vox Ciphers show up three times during BioShock Infinite. The following is a list of their locations.
- Soldier's Field - The Fellow Traveller - the restrooms.
- Finkton Proper - Plaza of Zeal - the clock workshop.
- Downtown Emporia - Bank of the Prophet - the bank vaults, in the room with "HOARDER" written above a corpse.
Behind the Scenes
- The Vox Cipher is a cross between a substitution cipher and a tabula recta, as evidenced by the board found in one of the viewing rooms on Monument Island.
- The card handed to Booker can be translated to: "I am a code; I should probably be changed over for something much more official in the future, but I'll do as a stand-in for now, I suppose." This is likely a developer oversight.
- The cypher characters seem to based off the Meroitic Script,an alphasyllabary for the Merotic language of 3rd century BCE Kush.